Dinghies use RYA Portsmouth Yardstick handicaps (see the PN List), with the following additions/modifications:
- Laser Fun - does not have an agreed handicap. We have provisionally given it the same handicap as a standard Laser as is sometimes done elsewhere.
- Topper Topaz Magno - in the absence of an RYA handicap, the manufacturer's handicap recommendation of 1175 is used.
- Byte - without the CII mast and race sail, assumed for the standard RYA handicap, we use a PY of 1190.
- RS Feva singlehanded - a trail handicap of 1150 is applied when sailed singlehanded.
- Two-handers - class rules for generally do not allow them to be sailed single handed, although some clubs allow this in certain circumstances with a handicap penalty. If a skipper cannot find a crew, we currently allow single-handed sailing in closed events with no handicap penalty on the understanding that skippers do not take advantage of this concession, e.g. by sailing-single handed in light winds.
For yachts, it is expected that FYC will use the handicaps published by the FYCA.